Information-theoretic tools have been indispensable in understanding the performance limits of the emerging wireless networks. In addition, these tools and methods have inspired multiple innovative communication strategies that are being introduced in practical multiuser wireless systems. The objective of the course is to introduce the students to the information-theoretic models and techniques that are applicable to multiuser wireless networks and provide examples how to use them in particular communication scenarios.
This is a 3-day course and the following topics will be covered:
• Basics of single-user systems: typicality, source coding theorem, channel coding theorem, Gaussian channel, coding and decoding strategies, waterfilling
• Basics from multiuser information theory: multiple access channel, broadcast channel, relay channel, interference channel
• Relay channels: strategies for coding and cooperation
• Fading channels: multiuser diversity and opportunistic communication
• Diversity-multiplexing tradeoff
Basics of information theory and digital communications, probability theory, stochastic processes, statistical signal processing.
Professor Petar Popovski, Aalborg University, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Petar Popovski
March 25-27, 2013
Number of seats:
March 4, 2013
Important information concerning PhD courses
We have over some time experienced problems with no-show for both project and general courses. It has now reached a point where we are forced to take action. Therefore, the Doctoral School has decided to introduce a no-show fee of DKK 5,000 for each course where the student does not show up. Cancellations are accepted no later than 2 weeks before start of the course. Registered illness is of course an acceptable reason for not showing up on those days. Furthermore, all courses open for registration approximately three months before start. This can hopefully also provide new students a chance to register for courses during the year. We look forward to your registrations.
- Teacher: Petar Popovski