This course deals with basic principles of epidemiology and will prepare the students for further courses in advanced epidemiology. The course will consist of lectures and group-work based on scientific papers.
The main themes are:
• Descriptive studies
• Measures of associations
• Observational design, including cross-sectional studies, cohort studies, case control studies
• Experimental studies (randomized controlled trials)
• Sources of information for epidemiological studies
• Issues of precision
• Issues of validity, including bias and confounding
• Applications of epidemiology in different areas, including clinical epidemiology
Participants are suggested to read the following before the course:
• Svend Juul. Epidemiologi og evidens. Munksgaard Danmark, 2nd edition, 2012 or
• Raymond Greenberg et al. Medical Epidemiology, 4th edition, 2004.
Associate Professor Kirsten Fonager, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Professor Henrik Bøggild, email: email@example.com
Associate Professor Kirsten Fonager and Associate Professor Henrik Bøggild, Aalborg University Hospital, and invited lecturers
September 30 and October 1, 3 and 7, 2013 (08.15-16.00)
Niels Jernes Vej 14, room 4.107
DK-9220 Aalborg East
Number of seats:
September 2, 2013
Important information concerning PhD courses
We have over some time experienced problems with no-show for both project and general courses. It has now reached a point where we are forced to take action. Therefore, the Doctoral School has decided to introduce a no-show fee of DKK 5,000 for each course where the student does not show up. Cancellations are accepted no later than 2 weeks before start of the course. Registered illness is of course an acceptable reason for not showing up on those days. Furthermore, all courses open for registration approximately three months before start. This can hopefully also provide new students a chance to register for courses during the year. We look forward to your registrations.