Description: This course deals with basic principles of epidemiology and will prepare the students for further courses in advanced epidemiology. The course will consist of lectures and group-work based on scientific papers.
The main themes are:
• Descriptive studies
• Measures of associations
• Observational design, including cross-sectional studies, cohort studies, case control studies
• Experimental studies (randomized controlled trials)
• Sources of information for epidemiological studies
• Issues of precision
• Issues of validity, including bias and confounding
• Applications of epidemiology in different areas, including clinical epidemiology
Literature: Suggested read before the course
• Svend Juul. Epidemiologi og evidens. Munksgaard Danmark, 2nd edition, 2012 or
• Raymond Greenberg et al. Medical Epidemiology, 4th edition, 2004.
Prerequisites: se above
Evaluation: active participation
Organizer: Kirsten Fonager, Ph.D, associate professor, Henrik Bøggild, Ph.D, associate professor
Lecturers: Kirsten Fonager, Ph.D, associate professor, Henrik Bøggild, Ph.D, associate professor and others.
Time: 2-3 and 6-7 October, 2014
Place: Aalborg University
Zip code: 9220
Number of seats:
Deadline: 11 September, 2014
- Teacher: Henrik Bøggild
- Teacher: Kirsten Fonager