Description: This course covers two very important applications of power electronics in the modern power system – High Voltage DC transmission and Flexible AC power transmission.
High voltage DC transmission has been used worldwide to transmit bulk power over long distances. Recently the VSC-HVDC has been introduced for the applications in the connection of relatively weak grids. Modular multilevel converters based HVDC (MMC-HVDC) is the latest development in the HVDC transmission technology. MMC-HVDC will be the backbone for the proposed offshore DC super-grids. Multi-terminal DC transmission is the latest development for the interconnection of large and distributed offshore wind power to multiple grids.
Flexible AC transmission technology refers to the application of power electronics in the power system which would allow the control series or shunt compensation techniques or their combination. Power electronic switches may also be used to switch passive devices like the shunt capacitors or the reactors.
A detailed description of these two topics and their analyses will be presented. The course will include lectures and simulation exercises. Simulation tools like PSCAD-EMTDC, and DigSILENT will be used to demonstrate these applications. Real time digital simulation (RTDS) will be used to demonstrate the real time simulation of VSC-converter operating as a STATCOM or the HVDC converter in power system.
Main topics are:
• Classic HVDC transmission (LCC HVDC) for the bulk power transmission over long distances, Introduction, operation and control
• VSC-HVDC transmission for the connection of relatively weak grids, and grid connection of renewable energy sources - Introduction, operation and control
• Evolution of Modular Multi-level converters and MMC-HVDC - Introduction, operation and control
• Multi-terminal DC transmission system
• Theory of reactive power compensation in power systems
• Power converters and FACTS devices: SVC, STATCOM- introduction, operation and control
Organizer: Assistant Professor Sanjay K Chaudhary, firstname.lastname@example.org – Aalborg University, and Professor Remus Teodorescu, email@example.com – Aalborg University
Lecturers: Assistant Professor Sanjay K Chaudhary, firstname.lastname@example.org – Aalborg University, Professor Remus Teodorescu, email@example.com – Aalborg University & Massimo Bongiorno, firstname.lastname@example.org – Chalmers University
Time: 30 September - 3 October, 2014
Place: Aalborg University, Pontoppidanstræde 101
Zip code: 9220
Number of seats: 30
Deadline: 16 September, 2014
- Teacher: Sanjay Chaudhary
- Teacher: Remus Teodorescu