Welcome to Smart Distribution Systems
Description: The Smart Grid concept involves integration of information and communication technology from the electricity generation to the consumption sectors. The bulk of the smart grid applications take place in the distribution grids (MV and LV) where significant amounts of renewable generation and flexible demand units are integrated, distribution controls are automated, assets are monitored and proactively managed and consumers are empowered for economic and efficient use of electricity. This course covers important applications and technologies of the smart distribution systems. The technical limitations and means of increasing the hosting capacity of distributed energy resources in intelligent grids are covered. In addition, the course also includes utility practices and guidelines, dynamics of electricity market, communication technologies and case studies relevant to future power distribution systems.
Following topics are covered in the course:
• Modern Distribution Systems.
• Smart grid fundamentals and concepts.
• Market aspects and demand side management in Smart Distribution Systems.
• Grid codes/standards - LV/MV Distribution systems and operation.
• Operation, control and reliability of DER units in the distribution grids.
• Electric vehicles, Heat pumps, Electric boilers, Solar PVs in distribution grids.
• Communication technologies and standards in Smart Distribution grids.
• Simulation tools for distribution systems, examples with DigSilent.
Electrical engineers and PhD students with knowledge about electrical power and energy systems.
Organizer: Associate Professor Birgitte Bak-Jensen, firstname.lastname@example.org – Aalborg University
Lecturers: Associate Professor Birgitte Bak-Jensen, email@example.com – Aalborg University, Assistant Professor Pukar Mahat, firstname.lastname@example.org – Aalborg University, Assistant Professor Jayakrishnan Pillai, email@example.com – Aalborg University, Associate Professor Rasmus Løvenstein Olsen – Aalborg University, Postdoc Weihao Hu, firstname.lastname@example.org – Aalborg University, PhD student Iker Diaz de Zerio Mendaza, email@example.com – Aalborg University
Time: 12 - 15 May, 2014
Place: Aalborg University, Pontoppidanstræde 101
Zip code: 9220
Number of seats: 30
Deadline: 21 April, 2014